Scroll down for upcoming activities of interest...
Chimney Hill Owners Association
Landscape Committee Meeting
Friday, August 4, 2017
CALL TO ORDER
The Committee met at the Chimney Hill Office. Diana Gould, Chair, called the meeting to order at 9:08 a.m. The following Committee members attended: Elaine Ahnell, Marguerite Babor, Jane Cary, Gene Clark, Leon Gortler, Selma Gortler, Sharron Heberlein, Pam Massey, and Tanya Sparano.
Those present approved the minutes of the previous meeting on July 7, 2017.
- Garden Tour: The long-planned tour of Mary Ann McLeod’s garden will take place after today’s meeting.
- We will review a mock-up of a possible brochure format at the next meeting. The brochure should include the following sections: plants suitable for CH climate(s); local nurseries; approaches to growing in moist, rocky, and clay soil conditions, and among roots; amendments; container gardens; watering.
- Planting around new CH Office parking area: The Committee discussed plans for donating and planting hostas in a border. [More recent conversations with ED Ken Spicer, however, led to the conclusion that such a border is not advisable.]
- Weeding and mulching at the Clubhouse: Weed whacking behind the borders around the flagpole area needs to be completed. Diana will discuss with Jay. In addition, in September, Jay plans to rebuild the stone wall below the pool house. Hydrangeas, such as “Pinky Winky” or “Quick Fire” may be added for more interest and to screen the maintenance area above. The steep rise above the pool area, where planting was attempted last summer, is sporting an array of ferns. All agreed that it looks fine now and can be left as is.
- Entry Garden and Birchwood Flagpole: The dead tree has been removed. At the September meeting, Committee members will visit the Birchwood Flagpole area and leave markers where transplanted bushes should be placed.
- CH Gardens of Interest/Proposed Tour in July, 2018: Such a tour might include the gardens of Elaine, Tanya, Carol, Jane, Diana & Pam, Jean & Bob Cincotta, and Mary Ann Holthaus.
- Big chair at CH entry: It is suggested that the chair be moved to the Birchwood Trail Head so that it does not block the Memorial Trees. A vote resulted in a tie: five for moving the chair to Birchwood, five for leaving it where it is. This issue will be raised again at the next meeting. Meantime, we have been advised that the chair may need some repair work this winter.
- Additional kiosk: The proposal to add a kiosk at the intersections of Binney Brook and Howe’s Loop has been given due consideration and if approved would be constructed next spring. Amy Goodermote was “volunteered” to maintain the new kiosk, with Tanya Sparano as back-up. Since Amy was not at the meeting to defend herself, she will be consulted, hopefully, at the next meeting.
- Elaine culled some day lilies from her garden and offered them to anyone who wants them. If any are left, Diana will ask CH Gardener Cheryl Rusin to pick them up and plant them wherever they might be needed.
NEXT MEETING: Friday, September 1, 2017, 9:00 a.m. at the Chimney Hill Office
ADJOURNMENT: 10:00 a.m.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2017
(Please note Sept. 1 is a Friday)
CALL TO ORDER
Approval of Minutes from Friday, August 4, 2017
- CHOA Office parking area
- CHOA Clubhouse
- Jay is rebuilding stone reinforcement at end of pool
- Cheryl will order 2 more hydrangea plants
- a bit more weeding and mulching still necessary
- Big Chair at entry garden needs a second vote: whether to leave it at Entry or remove to Birchwood area
- Further discussion on proposal for one more kiosk to be located at Binney Brook and Howe’s Loop to be cared for by Amy Goodermote and Tanya Sparano
- House tour for next summer, 2018? If so, should we confirm participants before last meeting in October?
- Fall plants for kiosks?
- how many and who to buy them from
- date for placing them in kiosks
7. After meeting go to Birchwood Flagpole area:
- Markers for lilac and viburnum being moved from Entry area
- Markers for 2-3 hydrangea paniculata “Vanilla strawberry” inFlagpole area?